Education in Canada is under the complete jurisdiction of the provinces and territories (States) and as such, there is no Federal (Central) education system in Canada. In keeping with the national commitment to education, public education in Canada is free up to and including secondary school (12th Std), in all the provinces. At the postsecondary level, institutions are divided into community colleges and universities. A significant number of university graduates attend college upon completion of their degree in order to acquire vocational skills for employment.

Canada is a country in North America consisting of 10 provinces and 3 territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. At 9.98 million square kilometres in total, Canada is the world's second-largest country by total area and the fourth-largest country by land area. Its common border with the United States is the world's longest land border shared by the same two countries.

Canada is a developed country and one of the wealthiest in the world, with the eighth highest per capita income globally, and the eleventh highest ranking in the Human Development Index. It ranks among the highest in international measurements of education, government transparency, civil liberties, quality of life, and economic freedom.


Canada has one of the best and most respected education systems in the world. Every year, thousands of students from other countries pursue their educational goals in Canada. With new ways to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after your studies, the advantages of studying in Canada are great. There are also permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.

Canada’s education system is based on levels that start with elementary (kindergarten to grade 8), secondary (Grade 9-11 or 12) and then post secondary options (college to university).

As a global leader in innovation, technology, research and development, Canada’s post secondary system is at the centre of the new knowledge economy. You may choose to study at college, university or both to develop key skills, work with industry and contribute new ideas in the academic community.

  • Bachelor’s Degree:
  • Post Graduate Diplomas / Certificates:
  • Master’s Degree:
  • Doctorate or PhD:


Most universities & colleges offer admission to international students during following months:

  • September - December
  • January – April


Undergraduate studies:
  • First class in HSC
  • IELTS (6.0 / 6.5)
  • TOEFL (80 & Above)

Masters Studies
  • First class in Bachelor’s (3 years in India)
  • Postgraduate certificate or Diploma
  • IELTS (6.0 / 6.5)/TOEFL (90 and above)

All students must be fluent in English if they are applying to Canadian Institutes. International students need to reach the required level of English language competence.

IELTS score in the range of

  • 6.0/6.5for undergraduate students
  • 6.5/7for postgraduate students

TOEFL score in the range of
  • 80 and above for undergraduate students
  • 90 and above for postgraduate students

Popular Universities
  • University of Toronto:
  • The University of British Columbia:
  • McGill University:
  • University of Alberta:
  • Simon Fraser University:
  • University of Calgary:
  • York University:
  • University of Victoria
  • University of Waterloo
  • Queen’s University

Education and living costs :

Education Costs :

The average cost for a year’s fee can range from $5,000 to $18,000.

Average academic tuition fees are as follows:

  • College: CDN $9,000 – CDN $12,000 (per year)
  • University Transfer Program (UTP): CDN $9,000 – CDN $12,000 (per year)
  • University Foundations Program: CDN $9,000 – CDN $11,000 (per year)
  • University: CDN $10,000 – CDN $16,000 (per year)

The tuition for English preparation (ESL) programs ranges between CDN $900 and CDN $1,200 per month, depending on the school and the level of intensity of study.

Living costs:

Average cost of living in Canada is around $10,000- $20000 per year and $800-$1000 per month. This amount includes food, accommodation, transportation, medical insurance, books, clothing and sundries.

Scholarship Opportunities

There are plenty of scholarships in Canada that are offered to students from all over the world. Scholarships in Canada can be classified into two major categories that are for 'Automatic Consideration' scholarships and 'Need to Apply' scholarships.

Scholarships in Canada are mostly

  • Academic scholarships
  • Athletic scholarships and
  • Scholarships for overseas or foreign students

VISA Requirements

Depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study, you may require:

  • A temporary resident visa
  • A study permit
  • For Quebec-bound students, a CAQ (Quebec Application Certificate)

The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study:

  • any study program of up to six months: no study permit is required
  • Programs longer than six months require a study permit

If you will be studying in a program of six months or less, but think you may continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. If you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.

What is the difference between a University and a College?

Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. These colleges do not generally offer degree programs.

Can I study and work part-time to help finance myself in Canada?

Yes, you can in certain circumstances. International students can work on the University/College campus, whereas off campus work is permitted only after 6 months. Full-time students can work in their institutions without the need for an employment authorization. You are allowed to work in Canada for 1 to 3 years after completing your academic programme depending on the length of the program.

How much value would a Diploma hold?

Colleges offer a wide variety of Career-oriented programs like Advance Diplomas/ Diplomas/Certificates. These programs are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn and develop many marketable skills in their preferred career. It emphasizes on the technical aspects providing hands-on experience and fundamentals of the program.

Do I need Health Insurance?

Yes. Health Insurance is mandatory. You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province, and sometimes from university to university within each province. Most of the institutes have health insurance included in their tuition fees. You may also take health insurance from India.

Is my spouse/dependent allowed to work in Canada?

If your spouse or any dependent wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Your Spouse Permit will be valid for the same period that you are authorized to study in Canada.

Can I work after Graduation?

Students may work up to one year if they have completed a one year program and up to 3 years if they have completed 2 years or more programme.

How do I obtain an extension of my student authorization?

If you wish to extend your student authorization, you can do so within Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Centre at least 2 months before the expiry of your authorization